Thursday, May 8, 2014

10 Leadership Thoughts and 1 Challenge

Are you working to keep your leadership platform strong? To help you continue to build a strong leadership platform, the leader team is challenging you to an assignment. In the next 48 hours, take 15-30 minutes to:

  1. Read the "10 Thoughts About Leadership from Jon Gordon" below.
  2. Identify 1 item from the list that you could focus on in order to develop one stronger relationship and thus, a stronger leadership platform. As Nike would say (everyone together) - "Just Do It!".
  3. You're down to 47 hours 59 minutes and 15 seconds.
  4. Please post your focus area in the blog comments. The goal is to see at least 10 comments showing how we are working to strengthen our platforms - and I'd love to see you blow that number away. With 13 current EIL participants, 13 current mentors, and many leaders from EIL2 and refresher classes, we can get there.

10 THOUGHTS ABOUT LEADERSHIP from Jon Gordon
 
1. People follow the leader first and the leader's vision second. It doesn't matter if the leader shares a powerful vision, if the leader is not someone who people will follow, the vision will never be realized. As a leader, who you are makes a difference. The most important message you can share is yourself.
 
2. Trust is the force that connects people to the leader and his/her vision. Without trust there is a huge gap between the leader and the vision. Without trust people will stay off the bus. However, if people trust the leader they will hop on the bus with the leader and will help move the bus forward toward the vision.
 
3. Leadership is not just about what you do; but what you can inspire, encourage and empower others to do.
 
4. A leader brings out the best within others by sharing the best within themselves.
 
5. Just because you're driving the bus doesn't mean you have the right to run people over. Abraham Lincoln said "Most anyone can stand adversity, but to test a man's character, give him power." The more power you are granted the more it is your responsibility to serve, develop and empower others. When you help them grow, they'll help you grow.
 
6. Rules without Relationship Leads to Rebellion. Andy Stanley said this and it's one of my favorite quotes. As a leader you can have all the rules you want, but if you don’t invest in your people and develop a relationship with them they will rebel. This applies amazingly to children as well. It's all about relationships.
 
7. Lead with optimism, enthusiasm and positive energy; guard against pessimism and weed out negativity.
 
8. Great Leaders know they don't have all the answers. Rather they build a team of people who either know the answers or will find them.
 
9. Leaders inspire and teach their people to focus on solutions, not complaints. (The No Complaining Rule)
 
10. Great leaders know that success is a process; not a destination. One of my heroes, John Wooden, the legendary UCLA basketball coach, never focused on winning. He knew that winning was the byproduct of great leadership, teamwork, focus, commitment and execution of the fundamentals. As a leader, focus on your people and processes, not the outcome.
 
 
Thanks and keep leading the Interstates Way!
Scott Peterson

24 comments:

  1. Leadership includes celebrating successes and driving change. Both of these areas require me to be more purposeful in leading with #7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #6 seems to resonate when I think of having a couple teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #10 is important to me as a continue my leadership journey. A leader never accomplishes things alone, you have to have a strong team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #8 is a great reminder for me...time can get sucked away trying so hard to have the right/perfect answer. A time saver or even better solution can be made if you go beyond yourself and ask for others help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #3 resonates with me. I've been thinking recently about how I am investing my time. #3 reminds me that I am not being measured on how much I accomplish personally, but how much my team achieves. I can have great personal productivity and still fail as a leader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #7. As the IE team works toward our BHAG, I want to get better at reacting to ideas with optimism and enthusiasm. I want to encourage trying a lot of things, to learn from mistakes, and to keep what works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a fan of #8, often times the act of sharing with others that you don't have all the answers can be the key to getting the team on board and unlocking solutions to the problem at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. #5 stuck out to me. It reminds leaders that just because you have a position within a company, you aren't necessarily a great leader. When trying to inspire others, being positive and focusing on their growth is what is most important. It's "Beyond You" leadership (#scleadercast #leadercast2014). When you help others grow, you actually find yourself growing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. #8 is something that as a leader I need to remember. Most of the time there is more than one way to do things, and by not having an answer for an issue, others may come up with bigger and better solutions because they arent looking at things exactly the way that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. #3 is something I always have to keep reminding myself of. Working through others and what they can accomplish rather than focusing on keeping myself personally producing the work

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to be different and go with #9. Personally focusing on solutions will help drive change and meet goals. Leading by example and expecting this out of others can prove to be very powerful. Don't take the monkey, help guide towards solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. #8 is something that I need to remind myself of--it's o.k. to not have the answer and admit this, but it's not good for the company to spend substantial amounts of time finding the answer individually (due to pride) when we can use the expertise and knowledge of others on our team to get the answer quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Numbers 2 and 8 connect for me. Part of building trust is being vulnerable and being willing to admit we don't have all the answers and need help in accomplishing the vision.

    ReplyDelete
  15. #7 and #10 connect with me the most. (#7) When leading, showing enthusiasm and optimism clearly reflects to your direct reports that you are not just pushing change as a process but that you are also engaged and committed to it as a leader. You truly believe in it. This is something I have come to realize great value in. Especially when you have the respect and trust of those working with you. (#10) Another key to being a leader I have found is to never assume that success has a sole definitive outcome. Measurements of success change with the market, the economy, etc. Know that goals for success are ever changing both in terms of values and timelines. Constant development and adjustment is needed to stay the course for success both long and short term.

    ReplyDelete
  16. #8 speaks to me. It is rewarding to start someone on a new task or assignment and in the end they have added to my idea or made it better. It reminds me that you just need to put the right person in the right place. David Ogilvy said " Surround yourself with people that are better than you. And then let them get to it."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Number 2 resonates with me. The quote in number 5 is great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Number 6 resonates with me. Partly as Jake notes because of having a teenager in the house. I wonder if 'rules without relationships' could be exchanged for 'rules without purpose' instead. Without a real purpose, rules have no meaning. I think both relationship and purpose are needed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Item #10 should be a focus area for me. More often than not, I find myself focusing on the outcome as opposed to the journey getting there and lose out on an opportunity to learn about and grow myself and those around me. Could not agree more with #7. Attitudes are contagious, and leaders need to make sure there's is worth catching.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd be fooling myself if I thought I had all the answers. #8 is a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll be focusing on #6. In order to improve my relationships I'll look at their DISC profiles so I can better understand and relate to my team.

    ReplyDelete
  22. #6 - Relationships resonate through work, home, play...all areas of your life! This principle is something I continue to focus on with my team.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "9. Leaders inspire and teach their people to focus on solutions, not complaints. (The No Complaining Rule)"

    This is a problem for me personally, I like to complain, whine, judge, etc. As a leader this is not setting a good example for our team. So not only do I need to focus on this for myself but also teach others to shift their approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  24. #9 also resonates with me. I know there are times I justify allowing people to "vent" when really its complaining with no solution in mind. I will focus on pushing for solutions rather than complaints.

    ReplyDelete